Now, more than ever, access to data, analytics, research
and technology (DART) is critical to your mission. From
the classroom, boardroom, or home, for 25+ years
WRDS has supported users with targeted solutions that
underpin research, reinforce learning, and enable discovery.
This quick overview of the research data on WRDS begins by describing usage of the most popular databases.
Databases offered on WRDS are introduced, categorized by topic:
- Pricing data, including CRSP, Compustat, TAQ, OptionMetrics, and TRACE
- Fundamental data, including Compustat, FactSet, Capital IQ and WorldScope
- Earnings and estimates data, including I/B/E/S and Zacks
- Institutional ownership data, including Thomson Reuters, CRSP Mutual Funds, WRDS-SEC Data, and AuditAnalytics
- Other types of data, including ExecuComp, BoardEx, RavenPack and Capital IQ Key Developments
The video concludes by highlighting a suite of tools that can be used to link databases for conducting empirical research.
View the scope of data, extensive use-cases and breadth support documentation for Compustat on WRDS.
Our doctoral-level experts guide you through an overview of Compustat data on WRDS.
- What is Compustat?
- Linking with Compustat
Expand your knowledge of the benefits of Compustat data on WRDS through this guided video overview.
Supporting all levels of experience, Part II of our Compustat overview continues with instruction on
- How to access data
- How to link with other data for research
Access a comprehensive overview of CRSP data on WRDS.
Key discussion points include:
- The popularity of CRSP data
- CRSP features and benefits
- Types of CRSP data accessible
- Examples of how data is presented on WRDS
Explore CRSP’s stock database and find out why it is relied on by researchers across the globe.
Topics covered in this overview include:
- Types of Updates
- Time Series vs Event Files
- How to Merge the files
CRSP's rigorous analysis for accuracy and unique research source is characterized by its unmatched breadth, depth, and completeness — providing unique permanent identifiers backtesting, time series and event studies, and measurement of performance.
Learn about the breadth of coverage for CRSP data in this video overview.
CRSP data on WRDS
US Index History
US Treasury and Inflation Series
Survivor-Bias-Free Mutual Funds
Ziman Real Estate
Become a more advanced CRSP user by learning details about CRSP variables, such as:
- What are "negative" CRPS prices
- How to use CRSP data to create a time-series of prices that is consistent after a split
- An explanation of the formula used to calculate returns with dividends
- How delisting returns are calculated
- What to do about missing delisting returns
- How to calculate market capitalization
Take a guided tour through I/B/E/S data — the premier analyst forecast data in academia.
Key discussion points:
- Data categories
- Forecasting time lines
- I/B/E/S Research Guide
Conduct research using I/B/E/S, I/B/E/S Global Aggregates, I/B/E/S Key Performance Indicators (KPI), and I/B/E/S Guidance.
Identify detailed company financial information for U.S. and international public and private companies and investment firms through S&P Capital IQ.
Access these key S&P Capital IQ databases through WRDS:
- Capital Structure-Debt
- Key Developments
This video presents an overview of Capital IQ on the WRDs platform, including detailed information on the following datasets:
- Capital Structure
- People Intelligence
- Key Developments
The video concludes with a use case study, illustrating the powerful links available across Capital IQ products.
Using concrete examples, this video illustrates different ways to access Capital IQ transcript data. For example, instructions are provided on how to pull Apple's 2015 earnings call transcripts using:
- PC-SAS Connect
- PostgreSql on the WRDs Cloud
Instant visualization of the effect of events on stock returns – U.S. and Global.
Extract detailed, back-end data for analysis, retrieve the behind-the-scenes set of codes, or access in-depth documentation on methodology used.
Key Features include
- Charts on Mean Cumulative Returns with significance intervals, mean Cumulative Total Returns (CTRs), mean Cumulative Abnormal (CARs) and mean BHARs
- Daily Event Studies based on Capital IQ Key Development event
- International Event Studies, covering 48 countries
Begins with an overview of Compustat Global, highlighting the database's coverage and available variables. Will you need to filter by country for your research? Step-by-step instructions are provided.
The three types of Compustat Global data available on the WRDS platform are explored:
- Fundamentals data
- Index constituents and index prices
- Securities data
The tutorial concludes with a discussion of some common research questions regarding Compustat Global data.
Compustat Execucomp is introduced, with a discussion of the:
- Data, including details about coverage, where the data is sourced from, and the different datasets that make up Execucomp
- Compensation items, including total compensation, cash compensation, and stock & option compensation
- Tracking of executives, including using the annual CEO flag, and identifying board members that are CEOs
The video concludes by highlighting the support documentation available on WRDS for Execucomp.
WRDS ownership data offerings have substantially expanded in recent years. This comprehensive overview of ownership data at WRDS examines ownership data at the:
- Institutional level
- Porfolio or fund level
- Insiders level
Regulatory details, data coverage, and reporting frequency are all discussed in this first part of a two-part video series on ownership data.
What information should researchers know when selecting which ownership data to use? This second video in the two-part series on ownership data focuses on known data issues in the most commonly used databases.
For example, a comparison of the three following datasets is discussed:
- Thomson-Reuters Mutual Fund Data (Legacy SP feed)
- Thomson-Reuters Global Ownership Data (OP feed)
- CRSP Mutual Fund Database
The video concludes with an overview of the available WRDS research applications related to ownership data.
NYSE TAQ data — Introduction
WRDS guides you through the introductory steps to access current U.S. market equities at the millisecond level including:
- Access current U.S. market equities at the millisecond level.
- View granular details of all trade and quote activity.
- Validate best execution, develop profitable trading strategies and perform in-depth research on the aggregate marketplace.
Which international database will work best for your research? View an in-depth comparison of the four main international databases that provide financial statement data:
- Compustat Global
- BvD Osiris
- Refinitive Worldscope
- FactSet Fundamentals
Learn about the contents and coverage of each database. In addition, this tutorial provides a discussion of the pros and cons of the databases, as well as their common characteristics.
This video overview of the American Hospital Association (AHA) data on WRDS features access to multiple data sets that cover demographic, operational, financial and IT characteristics of the nation’s hospitals.
Topics covered: Research trends, COVID-19, and new variables.
Data collected by the American Hospital Association (AHA) represents the single best source for credible, consistent information about the nation’s hospitals.
Learn how the WRDS Cloud can be used to execute research and strategy development.
- How to access WRDS Support Section for Cloud needs
- Which languages are supported on WRDS Cloud
- WRDS Web-query -vs- the WRDS Cloud
- Head nodes -vs- compute nodes
WRDS guides you through the website and introduces you to query pages, innovative tools, comprehensive resources, and research support.
WRDS democratizes data access so that all disciplines can easily search for concepts across the data repository — hosting the broadest collection of data on the most robust computing infrastructure.
WRDS te guía a través de la plataforma y te presenta su página web en donde descargar datos, sus herramientas innovadoras, así como sus recursos integrales y de apoyo para el investigador.
- Primeros Pasos
- ¿Qué datos puedes encontrar en WRDS?
- ¿Cómo hacer una descarga web?
- Herramientas de Analytics creadas por WRDS
- Herramientas para la Investigación, ejemplos de programación, y más
- Herramientas de apoyo para el investigador.
Access WRDS data through our easy-to-use web-based interface. The only requirements are a web browser and Internet access. Learn how to:
- Add filters and select variables
- Select the output format
- Download the data
- Access past queries
This tutorial is intended for first-time users, or experienced users looking to refresh their knowledge.
Our experts guide you in finding the data needed for your research.
- How data is categorized
- Techniques to locate data
- Resources that index WRDS' data
Learn how to access sample sets of trial data at WRDS.
Learn how to search for variables in datasets and forms.
This video tour will guide you through the extensive support services offered by WRDS.
Our staff of technical and research specialists assist with questions pertaining to research, data queries, and programming.
Experience how this teaching and learning toolkit can introduce finance and business concepts through interactive applications and simulations.
Instructors can utilize these robust tools as a core component of the curriculum, for stand-alone lessons or assignments, or for visually compelling classroom demonstrations.
- Introduction to WRDS
- Investments, Fixed Income, and Accounting
- Text Analysis